One of the most frustrating things about dealing with children is mis-behavior. In this Episode 110, we explore 11 reasons why young children misbehave and what to do about it.
1) They are tired / Put them to sleep
2) They want to assert their independence or control / Give them choices – would you like X or Y
3) They don’t understand the rules / Be sure to explain the rules, post them if you need to
4) They are bored / Ask them questions – instead of always being their entertainment – What is something you enjoy?
5) They lack the skills – they are young, their brain hasn’t yet developed that part or simply they just have not had enough practice / Teach them what they need to know
6) Your expectations are too high – is it normal child behavior? / lower or stop having expectations
7) They saw it somewhere else – friends or parents / Explain what you want to see not what you don’t want to see
8) They don’t know how to control their emotions – this is sort of a combination of many but they need to learn about the different kinds of emotions and how to deal with them / Teach them to be able to calm themselves, teach them it’s ok to have emotions but need to handle it appropriately
9) They are hungry / Make sure they eat, bring snacks, don’t go too long without food.
10) They want attention / Don’t give them the attention
11) They have been rewarded for bad behavior (they got negative attention) / Focus on rewarding positive behavior – listen to episode 109