Episode 73 is about Building & Leaving a Legacy. I get the impression that Legacy isn’t important for everyone. I would be curious to talk to someone who is not interested in a legacy. There are many famous people who have made statements about not caring about a legacy. I think in the world of entertainment, people may think if they want legacy, they are bragging or boasting about how good they are.
It’s usually defined by what is left after you are gone. However it is created while you are still here. I think there are multiple facets of legacy. There is the legacy I want to have as a father….and there is also the legacy as a person in total. Some people may define their legacy as what they do in the business world. Others will define it as the impact they have on society.
I think the concept of legacy hit me when my mother passed away 5 years ago. Realizing how many people she helped and impacted really made me look beyond just my family and ask myself, “What am I doing to make this world a better place?” Is my job making an impact? This really was the start of Dudes To Dads. It was to figure out my own questions but also be able to reach out and provide help for others.
So this concept of legacy is now part of my life. Can we make this place better than when we found it?
Jim Rohn, well known and very successful personal development guru had these 9 principles for a successful life and a lasting legacy:
1. Life is best lived in service to others – family co-workers, friends. We don’t need to neglect ourselves in the meantime, but we should put a lot of effort towards servicing others. Plus experts say helping others can help make you happy.
2. Consider others’ interests as important as your own. – Look out for others instead of always looking out for yourself. Many people are doing things because of what is in it for them.
3. Love your neighbor even if you don’t like him.
Liking people has to do with emotions. Loving people has to do with actions. And what you will find is that when you love them and do good by them, you will more often than not begin to like them
4. Maintain integrity at all costs
Reputation and good name is so important. always do what is right.
5. You must risk in order to gain.
This goes with many things. Typically the hire the risk, the higher the gain. Love, financially
6. You reap what you sow.
What you give is what you get. Give love, and you will receive love. Give hate and you will get hate.
7. Hard work is never a waste.
Hard work will leave a legacy. Give it everything you got.
8. Don’t give up when you fail.
This one is hard. Those who succeed do not give up when they fail. They keep going a continue forward.
9. Don’t ever stop in your pursuit of a legacy.
There is never a time to stop the pursuit of legacy. No matter how