Episode 29 starts with the update from Jason and Alan that the website now has an email signup. Listeners can keep up to date on news, episode releases, and more. Our first segment is a Dad’s Debate on whether it is ok to “parent” other kids when you are somewhere. Of course every situation is different but the guys provide their views on how situations should be handled. We then move into the Battlefield where we review getting the kids out the door for school and provide a few tips to make that easier:
- Get the kids to bed on time
- Get kids an alarm clock. Wake them softly.
- Have kids layout clothes the night before (don’t forget shoes)
- Prepare lunches the night before
- Setup a schedule with specific times and activities
- Make sure routine items are in the same place (toothbrush, hairbrush sunblock)
- Same goes for food. Allow them to get their own food for breakfast. They are totally capable
- Be on time yourself
Jason then shares a story in which a friend of his told the child that the car was leaving at a specific time and because the child was not ready, she missed her ride. The child was never late again. In Stuff To Do Jason discusses creating a scavenger hunt. Here are some instructions:
- Decide where you want to do it (in the house, outside, at a park)
- Gather some items that will need to be found. Can even be household items
- This can work with only 1 child but more kids would probably more fun. You could even invite the neighborhood kids and separate them into teams so they have to work together.
- Create a prize at the end
- You can do it for time and see which team has the most items, or the team who finishes and gets all of the items first will win.
In the Light Her Fire segment, Dr. Ellen Kreidman explains how it is not what you say but how you say it. Body language and tone of voice are huge. The guys then give Dad’s Homework and suggest doing 10 of the 100 Ways To Show We Care. We finish up the episode with a quote from Jackie Robinson: “The measure of a life is not what that life accomplishes but rather the impact that life has on others.”
Welcome & Intros (0:00) – Email signup now available on the website, send us questions and feedback.
Dad’s Debate (5:34) – Is it ok to “parent” another kid when you are at a party?
The Battlefield (13:41) – Getting out the door on the way to school
Stuff To Do (28:04) – Create a scavenger hunt
Light Her Fire (31:27) – It’s not what you say but how you say it.
Dad’s Homework (35:10) – Pick 10 of the 100 Ways To Show We Care
Quote of the Day (37:19) – Quote by Jackie Robinson